Monday, November 30, 2009

From a Druid's Perspective 11/30/2009: "Christian Druids?!?!"

A bit over 20 years ago when I first got started down a Pagan path, I veered as far away from Christianity as I could. I think most newbie Pagans do. It is an attempt to "break ties" with an old way of life. Likewise when I started in my calling in the role of Druid I had heard of some organizations having Christian Druids. At the time it was a hard pill to swallow because I had left the concepts of Christianity behind very completely. But like any good scholar I did my research and chewed on the conundrum.

As I have stated in my previous Druid post, I learned that "Druid" is a role within society. A role that, although it has priestly functions, is most definitely NOT just a priest. Druids were the scholarly elite of ancient Celtic culture. I realized this truth through the creation of a Neo-Celtic tribe of friends. But what is MORE surprising is that I also realized that in the modern sense, a Druid didn't even have to be Pagan to fill the role for his modern tribe.

In our little experiment of a Neo-Celtic tribe, not all of the members of the group were Pagan. In fact the minority of the group was Pagan. But as I had stated in my other blog we were tied together by our love of all things Celtic. So, to honour our Celtic heritage the people who were more spiritual in the group banded together as "Druids" for our little tribe. And as I have said earlier, the Pagans were in the minority. Now at the time, it was hard for me to wrap my head around the concept of my Christian friends fulfilling the role of "Druids" in our tribe. But I soon realized that the role was the same even if the God names were different, the point of reference was our Celtic identity. And of course when you look at the modern Celtic world you can see that it kind of makes sense.

But you are asking, what defines the concept of "the modern Celt"??? In a word, language. We define the concept of racial groups nowadays by what common language they speak. Although it is slowly fading away there are still speakers of the surviving Celtic languages out there. Many of them still living in the places of their ancestors in Britain, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and some of the outer islands around the UK. And with the modern quest for the Celtic diaspora to "connect" there has been in recent years an upswing in the number of speakers as people are taking the time to learn the old languages anew.

With that being said, to understand why Christian Druids make sense, you must also understand that the majority of Celtic language speakers around the world ARE CHRISTIAN. But what ties us Celtic Pagans together with our Christian Druid brothers and sisters isn't so much the religions but our love of all things Celtic and the connection it gives us to our ancient past. And besides a great many of the Christians in the Celtic world practice a version of Christianity that is startlingly different from what most folks know. In fact it could be said that it is Christianity with it's Pagan roots still showing.

Now, this said, you can see that it isn't so much the religion of the ancients that the modern Druids are trying to emulate. Modern Druids are the keepers of ancient Celtic tradition. Their role is to serve their tribe. And if the tribe is Celtic and Christian, well the modern Druid just might want to have some knowledge about the subject to help his "flock".

You might be saying that if a Christian is so incline to be a spiritual leader why not go a be a priest. To be perfectly honest the priesthood is not for everyone, and sometimes the people who need you as a Druid may not want to go to a Christian priest for comfort. It can be as simple as being able to be there "Celtically" for your fellow Celt. Not all problems folks have need spiritual guidence to be solved.


Let me also say this, you should not just add any old thing to your spiritualty and call it "Druid" or "Celtic". To honour the path of the Celt and the Druid you must know what they were through scholarship. Adding something to your personal path because it feels right is one thing, adding it and saying it is something it is not is another. The ancient Druids weren't decendants of Noah, or Shinto Monks, nor were the Celts for that matter. Saying that the Druids were Christian is a falsehood, saying that modern Druids can be Christian is truth. And really it is all about seeking the truth in all things. ;-)

6 comments:

  1. You wrote:
    "Modern Druids are the keepers of ancient Celtic tradition."

    What was/is your opinion of the ADF's decision to go pan-Indo-European as opposed to having a strictly Celtic focus? I have heard members of the ADF say that the focus of the organisation is the creation of capable pan-Neo-Pagan clergy, therefore their use of the title/role Druid is not inaccurate as they are redefining it within that context. What is your feeling on the issue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree about common language roots being a base to build on, since languages express (or are supposed to) the mindset of the people who develop them. Since language is not static, it's not a wide jump for me to say that the culture it serves is going to cause it to evolve, and evolve as it does at the same time.

    Ever listen to online radio? You can pick up streaming broadcasts from the UK here:

    http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/mp3.asp

    . . . some won't work outside the UK, but there are several that do that have programming in Welsh and Gaelic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not care for ADF's Pan-Indo European approach. I feel that the culture and language that defines what a Druid is is that of the Celts. I think that it is also one of the reasons that Henge of Keltria broke away from ADF is because they too feel that a Pan-Indo European approach is not true to the Celtic identity of the Druids. To be perfectly frank I think that although members of ADF have done good work, I do not think that as an organization it is that great. In fact I will go so far as to say that it probably would have folded out of the Druid scene if Isaac Bonewits wasn't involved in it. The Bonewits name is what brings folks to them, not the organization in and of itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm starting to wonder if, for some, the term Druid is going the way of the term shaman/saman. The term shaman has taken on a multitude of meanings and associations that have nothing to do with the original use/meaning of the term as it was used by the Tungus/Evenki. Dmitry Ermakov in his recent work "Bo and Bon", which covers the overlap between the pre-Buddhist beliefs of Siberia and Tibet, observes that while this alteration in use began among researchers, it was further expanded by the New Age movement to such a degree that the term shaman has been rendered "completely meaningless and unsuitable for use in serious research". Given the multitudes of material out there that discuss Druids - with some classifying Druid as a religious belief, and groups like the ADF redefining its' use to such a degree you see people calling themselves "Slavic Druids" - it is possible that it could, over time, become disassociated in the same way shaman has.

    Which, IMHO, would be a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I concur Jess, it would be a very bad thing. In fact I have been having a discussion about this very subject on a Yahoo group. Apparently this fella says that there were Norse Druids. He then goes on to say that Norse Drottars and Celtic Druids were basically the same. The thing is he is quoting folks like Manley P. Hall and other occult authors without looking at the research done by Celtic Recons. I, personally, don't care for the concept of the term "Druid" outside of Celtic culture. It is eclectic in a bad way IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh geez, the whole "Norse Druid" bit O_o ...

    I had one encounter with a fella at the Raleigh Renaissance Faire a few years ago who tried to pull that Norse Druid bit with me - and then got huffy when I didn't bite, and tried to cop an "I know more than you" attitude. So I just smiled, and said, "Well, my mom is Icelandic-Norwegian-American, and I have a BA in Scandinavian Studies - how about I flag her over here and you share your theory?"

    I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to backtrack so fast! ;D

    ReplyDelete